Sweet Potato Fries
A few years ago(wayyyy back in undergrad!) one of my really good friends and I had a Monday routine of sitting and finding some sort of new recipe, going to the grocery store, and then coming home to make a total mess.. I mean, a delicious home cooked meal. We tried to never repeat a recipe, but sometimes, we'd find one that we really liked, so we'd include it every once in a while. One of the recipes in that category were oven-baked sweet potato fries!
((You can scroll straight to the bottom for the ingredients & a quick version of the steps!))
I usually use one large potato per person, but it depends on what other food is being served. some recipes suggest peeling the potatoes before you cut them, but I like to leave the skin on. When I was still eating as a vegetarian, I would occasionally get slightly anemic, so leaving the skin on gave me a good source for iron and potassium(as well as many other awesome benefits!)
Start preheating the oven(to 400) before you start cutting, at least, thats my strategy so that I don't end up having to wait for it to preheat. I like to cut the potatoes into pretty thin slices, each about 1/4 of an inch wide. I coat them with olive oil before putting them on a foil-lined baking sheet. Once they're on the sheet I sprinkle them with whatever spices I choose. Most often, I use a little bit of salt and pepper, cayenne pepper, and rosemary! This combination of spices always leaves my kitchen smelling amazingly!
When you arrange the sweet potato slices on the pan, make sure to leave a little bit of breathing room between each slice. Lining the pan with foil speeds the clean up at the end, or you can use parchment paper, or whatever you have around your house.
Once the oven gets to 400 degrees, put the potatoes in for 12- 15 minutes, after that the slices should start looking a little wrinkly on the side that faces up, and then its time to take the pan out, flip the fries, and put them back in for another 12- 15 minutes! While you take them out to flip, sometimes its nice to add a little bit more spice to that side.
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil(or parchment paper!)
- Wash sweet potato(es)
- Cut into thin slices about 1/4 of an inch wide
- Lightly coat each slice with oil of your choice, then arrange on pan. Do not place slices where they touch one another.
- Sprinkle sweet potato slices with spices of your choice!(I usually use Salt, Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, and Rosemary)
- Place pan into over for 12 - 15 minutes
- Take pan out to flip the sweet potato slices
- Put back in oven for another 12 - 15 minutes
- 1 Sweet Potato
- Olive Oil ( enough to lightly coat each slice on all sides)
- Salt & Pepper*
- Cayenne Pepper*
*Or whichever spices you prefer!